“There's nothing to be gained by second-guessing yourself. You can't remake the past. So look ahead… or risk being left behind.”
-Vala Mal Duran

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Trust the Scrubs

I took my car to the shop today. It always takes a little while, so I headed over to DI to pass the time until they called.  First I headed over to the book section and found a book that looked interesting. I took it to the furniture section and sat down on a green couch.  I read some, fell asleep, woke up, gave up on reading, and went to wander the store.
As usual when I go to DI, I headed over to the scrubs section. As I got there, a little girl, who was all alone, looked up at me and said something completely incomprehensible. I must admit, I'm not that great with kids, so I just stared at her, then turned to the scrubs and started looking through them. She left for a short time, then came back and said something again.  This time I understood the word 'mommy'. Again I glanced around and actually realized that she was alone.  So I asked her where her mommy was.  She didn't know.
So, sighing, I suggested that we go find her mommy. She was all for that idea and grabbed my hand. I figured I would take her to the front of the store where they could make an announcement that she was there. Halfway to the front, she suddenly yelled "there!", let go of my hand and ran up to a cart with a woman standing next to it. I was expecting her to get her mom's attention or something. Instead, she reached up, got a soft drink out of the cart, and started drinking it. I had to laugh.
I reflected later on why she was so trusting to take my hand automatically. Maybe she's just like that, in which case, I'm a little concerned for her well being.  I was obviously not going to do anything to her, but there are those who would.
But, perhaps her mother had taught her, or she just figured instinctively, I'm not sure, that people in scrubs can be trusted. She didn't go to anyone else after I basically shooed her away, instead came back to me. I never realized that this outfit could bring so much respect from one so young.

No comments: