“There's nothing to be gained by second-guessing yourself. You can't remake the past. So look ahead… or risk being left behind.”
-Vala Mal Duran

Monday, June 1, 2009

How I feel. Random, I know

It's odd the amount of people who ask me how I can drive something so huge. A motorcoach doesn't actually seem that large to me anymore. Yes, it's bigger than anything else on the road except for Semi's, but once you understand and respect it's size, the challenge of driving it diminishes greatly. Don't get me wrong, the challenge definitely does not disappear entirely, I would disappointed if it did, but rather changes slightly. It's difficult to explain. The motorcoach no longer seems big; everything else seems small. It's like driving a regular car around in a half-sized village. It fits, but only barely and you have to be careful not to crush all of the other tiny little cars. The large size of your vehicle isn't the problem, it's the small size of the other ones.
I love this job. In no other job before this have I been paid to do something I would almost do for free. I love driving, I always have, and the challenges that driving a motorcoach provide just make it that much more exciting. This is the first job that I have actually hope for more hours instead of trying to come up with ways of calling in sick without actually lying. In fact, the two times I have had to call in sick I was quite disappointed. Nothing makes my day like working for 13 hours. Isn't that insane? I love it.
Everyday I meet people from all over the world. New Zealand, England, and the Netherlands, just to name a few that I'm sure of. I'm pretty certain that I've seen people from India, Germany, and several Oriental countries as well. All of them are coming from their various corners of the globe to see this amazing land that is Alaska. This land that I've quickly grown to love.
I don't know of many things that make me smile more than hearing people's intense excitement at seeing a moose for the first time. I can hear my first time excitement in their voices and it reminds me of when I was in their shoes. Has it really only been a month? I feel I have been in this place forever, and yet the time has simply flown by. It's incredible, really.

1 comment:

Megan said...

Hello! I'm glad to hear, you're enjoying your new job and surroundings! Love ya!