“There's nothing to be gained by second-guessing yourself. You can't remake the past. So look ahead… or risk being left behind.”
-Vala Mal Duran

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Relief Society Retreat

The fire’s warmth did not penetrate far enough causing everyone to move closer to it’s radiating heat. Soon, however, they were all shifting in their seats, torn between wanting to be within the circle of heat created by this blaze, or wanting to be away from the fiery ash popping out of the pit with a loud crack. Some were content to stay back, wanting only to be out of the danger of the ash and smoke. Some just wanted to be warm and risked the hot ash in the hopes that they would be warm enough not to care. The rest just paid attention to the speaker, not bothering about the fire, it’s danger or it’s warmth. Then there was me. I was as close as I could get to the fire without being in danger of falling in. Every once in a while I would poke it with my stick, moving one long or another to keep it as warm as I could. The ash didn’t bother me, if it hit me I just brushed it off with my hand, ignoring the heat. When I was positive the fire was going at it’s maximum strength, I sat back, frowning as the coldness of my seat soaked in, letting me know I was about to pay for my pyrotechnics.

I gazed into the fire, only really half seeing it. The smoke stung my eyes as I stared, unblinkingly; but my thoughts were far distant. The awesomeness of God’s power flowed over me as I tried to imagine his creations. I knew I never could, so I gave up after a while and looked to the sky. The stars weren’t as bright as they usually are when I’m camping because of the lights of the cabins. I could see the constellations twinkling brightly. How many of the stars I see now have people living on planets surrounding them? How many of my brothers and sisters are looking up right now, seeing my sun and wondering the same thing? The magnitude of the thought was too much for me and I turned to gaze at the fire once more, welcoming the simplicity of it.

Everyone watched as the chipmunk scurried around underfoot, wanting to be closer to people who might have food, but scared nonetheless. It didn’t notice that we were watching and wandered around, darting this way and that to keep us from detecting it. But no one could not have seen it as it scuttled up a lady’s leg, making people gasp. The woman next to them jumped up and hurried away, terrified of the small creature. Seeing it had been acknowledged it leaped from it’s perch on her knee, and scampered away, but not for long.

I took off at a slow jog, determined to force my body to run. At first, it was glorious, and I quicken my stride, my feet hitting the gravel with a soft slap. But my lungs soon began to protest and I had to slow again as I turned to start the climb uphill. Halfway up my whole body was screaming for relief and I slowed to a walk, panting as my lungs yelled for air. I could hear the sounds of animals to my left, but knew that it wasn’t really a cougar as it sounded, but a group of people, making the sounds as they laughed after each one. They were very realistic. Not finding what I had intended to find, I finally listened to my stomach and brain as they informed me it was time to eat and I turned and started jogging back down the hill. This was easier than up and I made it to the bottom without to much trouble. I got back to the camp and began to work on getting breakfast, but I was so lightheaded and tired that I vowed never to run first thing in the morning again. No matter what.

* ~ * ~ *

Those are the random experiences I had at the Relief Society Retreat this last weekend. I was going to put up pictures, but I can't find them now. :'( They were cool pictures too. Oh well.

I have about decided that I'm sick of wood. Wow! I know. I never thought it would happen either, but it just about has. I'm working with it just flat out too much and it's about to kill me. Maybe even literally. My entire right arm is dead. I'm surprised I'm able to even use it. I lifted really long boards and sanded them multiple times for about four hours this morning. I ended up having to get a wrist brace. Then I didn't need it when I got back and I was sanding by hand instead of with a sander, so I couldn't wear it anyway. It was all very annoying. It doesn't help that I think my supervisor dislikes me greatly. The guy that did like me retired yesterday. Which means we had a party, which was kind of fun. (Speaking of yesterday, happy late Patriot Day everyone.)

Anyway, I'm almost done with my mission papers. I should have them completely finished by the end of the month. I just need my physical and the permanent caps on the two teeth I got root canals on. So it shouldn't take too much longer! YAY! I'm so excited. I set my availability date for Dec 1, so that I'll be able to see Richard before I go. Even if it's only for a few days. I can buy him that ice cream I owe him. But if I go anywhere other than the United States, I likely won't leave that soon, because I'll need a passport and a visa, neither of which I have ever needed so I've just never gotten one. So there ya go. I'll keep you all posted.

No comments: