“There's nothing to be gained by second-guessing yourself. You can't remake the past. So look ahead… or risk being left behind.”
-Vala Mal Duran

Monday, January 25, 2010

A Great Man

A great man passed away last Tuesday.  I've been wanting to write a blog for him since then, but this is the first time I've been able to actually get on and do it.  Not because I didn't have time, but because I didn't think I'd be able to make it through this before now.  Honestly, I don't know that I'll make it through it now, but I'll try.
The man I'm referring to was a quiet man.  He lived a fairly average life.  But the differences he made in the lives of so many will carry on for generations.  He was an incredibly amazing man, one that fulfilled his mission on earth and is now in heaven.
I did not know him as well as I wish I did.  The stories of his life told at his funeral were all news to me.  But I saw his generosity, and I felt his love.
I remember so many times when I would go over to his house.  Although I was there for his son, he would very often excitedly show me something new on PAF, because he knew how much I loved family history work.  I learned a lot from him.
I also remember a day when I had a flat tire at work.  None of my family was available to help, and I couldn't think of anyone else to call.  So I called him and his wife.  Without hesitating, they came and helped.  I later found out that he was already beginning to fight the cancer that would eventually take his life, and had a doctor's appointment that day.  But, not thinking of himself, he came to help me.
Before he died, I wrote him a letter, thanking him for all that he did for me.  Not only directly, but for raising the amazing children that he did, two of which have helped me in ways I don't think it's even possible to describe.
The world is now a slightly darker place without his shining presence, but his memory lives on and makes all  who knew him want to be a little better.  In truth, I'm slightly jealous of all those he's with now.  He will be missed.

No comments: