“There's nothing to be gained by second-guessing yourself. You can't remake the past. So look ahead… or risk being left behind.”
-Vala Mal Duran

Monday, December 22, 2008

Live like you were dying

I watched the movie Return With Honor today, and it inspired some questions. The premise of the movie is that one the way home from his mission, a young man gets into a fatal car accident and is sent back with 60 days left. Then the movie shows what he does with those 60 days.
But it brought about the question - what would I do if I knew I only had 60 days left to live? What would I do with that time? And the answer is . . . I have absolutely no idea. I know I'd make sure everyone knew how much I loved them. But what would I do? How would I want my legacy in this world to end?
And of course, this always brings up the thought - no one knows when they are going to die. I may die tomorrow, or I may live to be 90 years old so I can complain about every little thing like my residents. But what if I die tomorrow? Will I have any regrets? Will I be ready? Will I have left anything unsaid that desperately needed to be said? Will I leave this life with enemies that I could have made up with? How would the world take the news of my death?
I love at the end of Return With Honor (this isn't really giving anything away, you might just think it is), Rowe (the RM) calls up his best friend and asks him to come over early in the morning, before his mother wakes up, so that she's not alone when she finds her son's body. Would I be so considerate that I was putting everyone else needs before my own, or would I simply be nervous beyond anything and just be waiting for death to come for me? I'd like to think that I'd be thinking of others.
Anyway, those are my thoughts today. Anyone else want to put in some?

No comments: