“There's nothing to be gained by second-guessing yourself. You can't remake the past. So look ahead… or risk being left behind.”
-Vala Mal Duran

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Prologue to Portals

I was very lazy today for the last time. I'm going back to work tomorrow morning. Yay. I did, however get out of the house. That felt good. I had my car today! I drove my dad to work this morning and then came home and made and ate breakfast. Then I was lazy until I got really sick of the house at which point I left and went shopping. Mostly window shopping as I don't have much money I can actually spend, but I did buy myself some lotion, sharpies that I've needed and a chocolate bar. Yay for chocolate. I like. :)

I've decided to be really weird and watch all ten seasons of Stargate SG-1 again before I leave on my mission in January. Odd goal, I know, but hey, Stargate ROCKS!!! (Or as Aubrey would say, Stargate rocks my socks off. And it's true.)

Lissa, I've come up with an easy and happy solution to the problem. Get a facebook. www.facebook.com - Then you can write on my wall and I can write on yours. Or you could just e-mail me, or continue to just comment on my blog. I don't have IM. My dad dislikes it. A LOT dislikes it. Yells at us every time it's put on the computer. So yeah.

This is the Prologue to Portals. Everyone let me know what you think. Please.

Hastifora 37, 790. The last known day of the planet Tealia.
The explosions were deafening. Every where around him there were people screaming and swimming to get to land so they could get off of the planet before the Vulmans destroyed it. Josh dove and swam down to his house as quickly as his legs could carry him. His wife Kristine and his infant girl, Jeneal, were counting on him, not to mention everyone in his neighborhood. Sometimes he hated being the leader of Gulswald, but at times like this he was grateful for his training and would lead this people to safety to the best of his ability. He reached his house, where everyone in Gulswald was swimming around impatiently, awaiting his instructions. He swam into his home, grabbed Jeneal and waited as Kristine grabbed the most important things in her life. He felt terrible that she had to leave her home behind, and vowed that he would find a place for them to live that would be safe from the Vulmans. With Kristine behind him he swam outside and headed for the surface, knowing that the Gulswald people would follow him.
Josh head broke through the surface of the water and he waited a few seconds as his gills closed. Then he climbed onto land and, with everyone trailing him, moved toward the ship that he had hidden in a spot he knew the Vulmans wouldn’t find. All around him he could hear the sounds of a war between the two species. They had been enemies for a millennia, and he now saw that the Vulmans were much more bitter against the Tealians than the Tealians were against them. Although the Vulmans couldn’t touch the water on this planet, there was enough land that many Vulmans had been able to come down to set the explosives. Even as they were doing so, Josh could feel the Vulman ship getting ready to fire as soon as the Vulmans on the planet had done their job. Josh forced the thoughts and feelings away and put his mind to the task of getting his people off the planet. Not only did they need to get away without being killed, they also had to find a new place to live soon. Not many planets would be compatible for a species that lived their lives under a very specific kind of water. Tealians could live above water for some of their lives, which is why they would be alright while trying to find a new home, but eventually they would all be in trouble if they couldn’t find somewhere.
They reached the ship and everyone started pilling in. Josh handed Jeneal to Kristine and told her to find a place while he made sure everyone made it onto the ship. Then he went back out and watched everyone get on.
Just as the last person had gotten on, and Josh was about to follow, he heard a scream closer than any of the screams had been yet. Silently, he crept over and looked out through the bush. Standing over a Tealian was a Vulman. The Tealian woman was now dead, but the Vulman leaned down and picked up a bundle out of her arms. Josh felt sick. He knew this woman. She had had a baby boy just about a week before Kristine had given birth to Jeneal. He knew that bundle was little Daniel. And now the Vulman was going to kill him. But to Josh’s surprise the Vulman looked up, and took off straight up toward his ship with Daniel still in his arms. Josh ducked back and went to his ship, confused, but knowing there was nothing he could do about it.

* ~ * ~ *

Though they were able to get away from the planet safely, the Gulswald people still needed a planet to live on. Josh felt out with his mind, trying to find an uninhabited water planet. After weeks of searching, he found one that could possibly work. It had a large land mass that was about five thousand saalines, but the rest of the world was water. It felt correct. They now had to send down a team to survey it to make sure.
As they approached the planet that could be their next home, Josh felt even more sure that this was a good place. The team they sent down reported that the water was compatible with their needs. They landed on the land mass and everyone piled out of the ship. Josh looked around.
“This planet will be known as Awkwa. We will be known as the Awkwans.”
With that decided, the Awkwan people got to work making their new habitable.

No comments: